Time: 35 Min
- If using bamboo skewers, soak in cold water at least 30 minutes to prevent burning. Prepare grill for covered direct grilling on medium.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, garlic, oregano, 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Let stand while you cut onions, peppers and sausages into 1 inch chunks.
- Thread peppers, 2 at a time and alternating with onion and sausage on to skewers. Brush skewers with oil mixture.
- Place on hot grill grate; cover and cook 10-12 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Place on platter to serve.
FIRECRACKER GRILLED SALMON
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
- Place salmon filets in a medium, nonporous glass dish. In a separate medium bowl, combine the peanut oil, soy sauce, vinegar, green onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and salt. Whisk together well, and pour over the fish. Cover and marinate the fish in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
- Prepare an outdoor grill with coals about 5 inches from the grate, and lightly oil the grate.
- Grill the fillets 5 inches from coals for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at the thickest part, or until fish just flakes with a fork. Turn over halfway through cooking.
LIGHT & CREAMY POTATO SALAD
Time: 1 Hour
- In 8-quart sauce pot, place potatoes and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Cover and heat to boiling on high. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well and transfer to large bowl.
- To bowl with potatoes, add wine and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Toss gently until well mixed. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare dressing: In large measuring cup, with wire whisk, stir buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and remaining 3 tablespoons lemon juice until well blended. To bowl with potatoes, add dressing and basil. Toss gently until evenly coated. Garnish with chives.
BERRY & COCONUT FLAG CUPCAKES
Time: 1 Hour
2 c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 c. granulated sugar
1½ stick butter or margarine
3 large eggs
1 c. low-fat buttermilk
8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
1 c. confectioner’s sugar
½ pt. blueberries
1 pt. raspberries
- Prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 20 muffin-pan cups with cupcake liners.
- On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat granulated sugar and 8 tablespoons butter 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy, scraping bowl with rubber spatula. From lemon, grate 3 teaspoons peel; reserve 1 teaspoon peel and set aside. With mixer on medium-high speed, add remaining 2 teaspoons peel to butter mixture and beat 1 minute. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare frosting: In bowl, with mixer on low speed, blend cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Increase speed to high; beat 3 to 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes. Top 4 cupcakes with blueberries, 8 with raspberries, and 8 with coconut; arrange on platter to resemble American flag.
ALL AMERICAN TRIFLE
Time: 40 Min
- In a bowl, sprinkle the strawberries with sugar; stir to distribute the sugar, and set aside. Chill a large metal mixing bowl and beaters from an electric mixer.
- Pour the cream into the chilled mixing bowl, and add white chocolate pudding mix, lemon yogurt; beat until fluffy with an electric mixer set on Medium speed.
- Spread a layer of pound cake cubes into the bottom of a glass 10×15-inch baking dish, and sprinkle the cubes with another tablespoon of coconut rum. Cover the pound cake with a layer of strawberries; sprinkle blueberries over the strawberries. Spread a thick layer of whipped cream over the berries. Repeat the layers several times, ending with a layer of strawberries sprinkled with blueberries and reserving about 1 cup of whipped cream; top the trifle with dollops of whipped cream to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.